PEDIATRIC BOARD EXAM RESULTS 2023 AND INSIGHTS FOR 2024
Pediatric Board Exam Results 2023
Well, friends, the American Board of Pediatrics exam results for 2023 have been announced! This is always an emotional time for pediatricians. For us here at PBR HQ, it's also overwhelming because we get flooded with emails from the members who have worked so hard over the past year, and have now FINALLY passed the boards!
The stories from our 2023 members have been wonderful. To have members say that we have changed their lives has been nothing less than humbling. Our members are also providing feedback on making the resources we have even better so that the PBR system continues to be the best pediatric board review available. While we are known for being the premier resource for anyone at moderate to high risk of failing the pediatric boards, the results below will help you see that if we can help pediatricians pass after SEVEN failed attempts, then helping you pass the pediatric board exam should be easy.
IN THIS ARTICLE, I'LL BE COVERING:
- The pass rate for PBR members and first-time test takers
- Feedback from our board-certified alumni on how to pass the pediatric board exams
- Reflections on the American Board of Pediatric exam results for 2023
- Next Steps if you FAILED the boards (and common mistakes to avoid to make sure you pass next year)
- Free upcoming webinar on how to ensure you pass the 2024 pediatric boards
BUT, BEFORE WE GET INTO THE ARTICLE…
You are probably here because you either PASSED the boards, you FAILED the boards, or, you are preparing for the boards for the first time. Here are some quick steps you can take if you fall into one of those three categories:
- If you PASSED the Pediatric Boards: Congrats! Team PBR and I are so thrilled to see you officially board-certified! Please be sure to fill out this form to let us know how it went.
- If you FAILED the Pediatric Boards: Let me know your results and I promise to reach out personally. I know the sting of seeing a non-passing score on results day (I failed too). Team PBR and I are going to make sure that our 2024 pediatric board review course and the PBR Certification System allow your next attempt to be a success. Please also strongly consider securing 1 of the 9 “Early Bird” slots for our LIVE Test-Taking Strategies Course. It WILL sell out and you will not regret taking this active step towards passing the boards. These courses are mainly via Zoom, but also in-person on occasion. Click here now and see what is currently available.
- If you have never taken the exam: Please be sure to read the insights and feedback provided in this article, then check out my 14 Week Study Schedule to prepare for 2023. Also, be sure to take advantage of our holiday sales, and check out our discounted PREORDER offers and bonuses!
PEDIATRIC BOARD EXAM PASS RATE HOW DID WE DO?
So far, AMAZING! There is a tremendous difference between the PBR first-time pass rate and the national first-time pass rate.
NATIONAL PEDIATRIC BOARD EXAM PASS RATES
The national pediatric board exam pass rate for first-time test takers taking the American Board of Pediatrics initial certification exam has ranged from 81% – 91% over the past few years, with 91% in 2018 (the highest pass rate in decades) and only 80% in 2022. For the MOC exam, the national pass rates have been in the 85% – 90%. I suspect this lower pass rate for the MOC exam is due to the very small percentage of pediatricians (less than 2%) who opt for the traditional 4-hour recertification exam. Instead of the MOC exam, almost all board-certified pediatricians are opting to take the at-home, open-book MOCA-Peds exam pathway to maintain board certification.
THE PEDIATRICS BOARD REVIEW (PBR) DIFFERENCE
In contrast, PBR consistently achieves remarkable pass rates. Our pass rate for the ABP MOC Exam has historically been 100%, and the first-time pass rate for the initial certification exam test-takers has consistently been estimated at 98%-99%. This is based on surveys, email responses, and the fact that less than 1% of our members file for PBR's 100% Money-Back First-Time Pass Guarantee!
While I'm always excited when any member passes the boards, I'm especially proud of those members who, after failing last year, have PASSED in 2023! Especially those whom I was able to personally mentor at our Live Test-Taking Strategies & Deep Study Courses over Zoom. All the wonderful emails and messages have been bringing me so much joy. This is the moment when Team PBR's efforts in helping doctors FINALLY pass the boards, after multiple attempts, come to fruition.
Here's an example of an email that we received from a Live Test-Taking Strategies Course member:
“This was my fifth attempt. I did my mini-residency retraining after my fourth attempt because I ran out of time eligibility. I never lost faith in PBR. I started PBR in 2014. I had a STROKE this year but I continued. Thank you Ashish Goyal for everything. Despite the events that happened in my life I continued and tried to overcome the dreaded exam. This time I PASSED.”
Dr. Mary Gidor
Board Certified Pediatrician
“No Brainer” Member
Live Test-Taking Strategies & Deep Study Course Member
This was Mary's FIFTH attempt!
And here's a video of Dr. Yessenia Castro, who finally passed on her FIFTH attempt because she followed all of the advice that PBR had to offer. Now she's making about $20,000 more per year, and she's in a job that she loves! I had the chance to meet her at the American Academy of Pediatrics conference and even recorded this great little video.
CAUGHT ON TAPE AT THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS CONFERENCE
Here's another video from the American Academy of Pediatrics conference. It's a conversation between a PBR alum and a pediatric resident in training. Watch the ENTIRE thing (it's only 2 minutes).
The last 15 seconds still give me goosebumps!
Before reading some of PBR's many success stories, we'd love to know HOW YOU DID in 2023!
Have you reviewed your American Board of Pediatrics exam results for 2023? Tell us your highs, tell us your lows, tell us how the results have affected your family, your plans for the future, and your insights about this challenging exam.
FEEDBACK FROM THE PBR COMMUNITY
Overall, the feedback has been wonderful. The major categories of feedback have been around the following:
- The EFFICIENCY provided by PBR through its concise, innovative, and digital resources is unlike any other pediatric board review course available.
- The SUPPORT that Team PBR provides is also unparalleled (logistical support, moral support, assistance with the creation of more Personalized Study Schedules than ever before, timely responses from Ashish and the team, and so much more).
- It's apparently “EASY” if you just follow the plan.
The CONTENT is excellent, concise, high-yield, and board relevant. It is more than enough to help you pass, but not so much that it overwhelms you!
Dr. Stephen Barbera is a former Chief Resident who did quite a bit of research before choosing PBR. He noted that there's a BIG difference between studying to be an amazing clinician and studying to take the boards.
The TEST-TAKING STRATEGIES courses made the difference! For many people who have struggled with passing a board exam in the past because they were average (or below average) standardized test-takers, the test-taking strategy courses offered by PBR completely altered their way of processing questions.
Dr. Frances Liu was able to get off of anxiety medications, date, and eventually get engaged after passing with the help of the Live Test-Taking Strategies & Deep Study Course.
DEEP STUDY TEACHINGS
The DEEP STUDY teachings that were life-changing. The members that attended the Live Test-Taking Strategies Course, were fortunate enough to get 2 lectures on learning how to learn! The lectures were centered around breaking horrible habits related to how we currently study, placing boundaries in life for ourselves and for the people around us, figuring out the right cadence for studying depending on your own personal situation, learning how to FOCUS during your studying and so much more. There is LOW-QUALITY studying and there is HIGH-QUALITY studying, and you need HIGH QUALITY studying to maximize your chances of passing the boards. Again, this lecture series is reserved for our Live Test-Taking Strategies Course members.
CRITICAL STATISTICS YOU SHOULD KNOW FOR YOUR PEDIATRIC BOARD REVIEW FOR 2024
By looking through data from thousands of PBR orders, I've been able to gather information that should be eye-opening to anyone who is contemplating the idea of becoming a PBR member.
MEASURE OF SATISFACTION
Out of every 1000 PBR orders, on average less than 10 will result in a REFUND request due to dissatisfaction with the materials (sometimes refunds are processed due to double orders or similar technical glitches, so we don't count those). That is a refund request rate of LESS THAN 1%, which means a SATISFACTION RATE OF 99%!
MEASURE OF PASS RATE
Out of over every 1000 PBR orders, on average we receive less than 10 requests for the MONEY BACK FIRST-TIME PASS GUARANTEE! That is less than 1%!
(PBR's “NO BRAINER” package is over 50% off of the total value of the package!)
THURSDAY, December 22nd, 2023 at 8 PM EST
Space might be limited.
If you’re taking the boards in 2024, this webinar is for you! CLICK HERE NOW & JOIN ME!
WHAT TO DO IF YOU FAILED THE 2023 BOARDS
I failed my boards on my first attempt as well. While it stung, if I hadn't gone through that experience, I never would have created PBR! So please know that failing the boards isn't the end of the world.
Over the past 10+ years of running PBR, there are common mistakes that people run into when studying that can be improved before next year's boards.
“I feel lost. What should I do now?”
When someone fails, this is the first question that I get. The answer depends on a number of factors. You only have a 7-year window after you finish your pediatric residency to pass the initial certification boards. So my first question is usually, “Are you still eligible to take the test at least one more time?”
“I Failed, and I'm STILL ELIGIBLE to Take My ABP Initial Certification Exam.“
Our lives are so much more complicated these days than they were back in medical school. Most of us have a job, a partner in life, and maybe even a kid. Plus, our access to medical and board review information is SO vast that trying to study in a focused manner feels impossible.
Along with “lack of time” and “information overwhelm,” there are MANY other reasons why good pediatricians fail the pediatric board exam.
Here are a few from my upcoming article, “How to Pass After A Failing Pediatric Board Score”:
- You over-studied
- When you are bouncing from resource to resource trying to memorize EVERY morsel of pediatric knowledge, you are at risk of information overwhelm. In other words, study a ton and remember none. Without repetition of the core content, you can't have the reinforcement and mastery of knowledge needed to pass the exam.
- You didn't practice applying your knowledge to board-style questions
- Knowledge is only one piece of the puzzle. A common mistake people make on the boards is treating questions like patients. When in fact they aren't one and the same! Learning to quickly evaluate, break down, and answer a question is NECESSARY to pass the boards. This comes down to either being a great test-taker or learning how to process questions systematically through a course on test-taking strategies.
- Didn't have enough study time
- Sometimes, work, family, and life get in the way of studying (and it shows when you get to the test center). I recommend spending at LEAST 300 hours studying to ensure you have mastered the pediatric topics and practiced your skills as a test-taker on enough board-style questions. If you failed, then you are now at high risk of failing the boards. For you, setting aside 500+ hours of study time would be more appropriate.
Did you fall into any of these common traps while studying? Let us know about your experience so we can help you pass next year!
“I FAILED, AND I'M NO LONGER ELIGIBLE TO TAKE MY ABP INITIAL CERTIFICATION EXAM”
If you completed your residency 7 or more years ago and you are still NOT board-certified, then you are likely no longer eligible to take the exam. You must go through a process that may include supervised retraining for at least 6 months at a residency program that's accredited by the ACGME in order to reinstate your eligibility for the exam. Or, we have a recommendation on an amazing program that will help become board-eligible again through a MUCH better option than the 6 months of retraining. Contact us now and we'll give you more details about the program to see if it's right for you.
- Can I still practice? YES. At this time, I do not think that any state requires board certification for state licensure. Many HOSPITALS do require it, and some insurance companies are starting to require it. If, however, you are in private practice and making a good living, then the lack of board certification may not affect you (for now). So, if that describes you, I would simply continue practicing and I would not worry about the board certification unless you KNOW that it will affect you soon. After all, if you are practicing and making six figures, then does it really make sense for you to take time off to go back to residency?
- Should I stop practicing and quit the field of medicine? If the lack of board certification is going to affect your income, and you're unwilling to go back to residency, then it might be time to look at alternative careers in medicine (e.g., teaching, working for an insurance company, working with companies focused on creating and improving electronic medical records, etc.).
- What is the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) Policy? What do I need to do to regain eligibility?
- Here's the policy from the ABP site: “The supervised practice must involve direct patient care, with hands-on experience, in the environment of an ACGME (in the US) or an RCPSC (in Canada) accredited training program that offers a breadth of general pediatrics experience. The supervised practice must extend over a minimum of 6 months, but the required experiences as detailed below could be spread out over 12 months to accommodate personal needs.” You can read the full policy by clicking HERE. This means that if you can find a residency program director to supervise your work, you could attend your clinical duties in a residency environment for just 2-3 days per week over a 12-month period.
I have looked through other areas of the ABP website for you (not an easy thing to do) and found that the following 4 pages are areas that you should become familiar with:
- General Overview of What You Need to Do: Click here and look for the “CERTIFICATION POLICIES” section or click here for the PDF
- More Specifics of the Training You'll Need: https://www.abp.org/tle-plan-supervised-practice-gp
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Madness: https://www.abp.org/content/time-limited-eligibility-faqs
- Note to Program Directors (basically tells pediatric residency program directors that anyone applying needs to first have their additional training approved by the ABP.): https://www.abp.org/news/what-know-time-limited-eligibility-policy-candidates
PREPARING FOR THE 2024 PEDIATRIC BOARDS WITH PBR
SOLUTIONS TO YOUR MOST COMMON OBSTACLES
Are you unsure if PBR will be good for you? If so, that's the EASIEST obstacle for us to solve for you. Start by taking advantage of PBR's FREE resources to “try before you buy” in order to make sure it's a great fit. If it's a good fit, then jump in ASAP because we're offering you an opportunity to sign up for the PBR No Brainer package. This package contains everything you need, including all of our pediatric “fund of knowledge” resources in the All Access Pass, our Full Online Test-Taking Strategies Course, and three 90-Day Personalized Study Schedules created by Team PBR. For pediatricians at low risk for failing the pediatric boards, the No Brainer package will give you EVERYTHING needed to pass the initial certification exam. Like much of the PBR Certification System, there is NOTHING like this in the world of medical board review.
Plus, we've released the PREORDER SPECIAL for the PBR NO BRAINER package which will tackle ALL of the common problems faced by pediatricians studying for the boards, such as:
- “I don't have enough MONEY to get all of those amazing resources. Heck, I can't even afford a single $1500 video course from ‘that other' board review company.”
- “I can't pass because I can't find TIME to go through all of the board review material I need to.“
- “I can't seem to just sit down and FOCUS on studying. I get so BORED!”
Through the real PBR member feedback below, it's clear that the PBR Certification System is built to address and solve all of these problems.
MONEY & TIME
Thank you guys so much… I loved all of PBR –the customer support, the value for the money, online books, mobile compatibility, but if I had to pick one thing I'd say how the PBR was distilled down to what we actually need to know—not the whole peds bible. Very practical accessible knowledge (at my fingertips)!
– Dr. Lucy
TIME & FOCUS
It's easy to read and the book itself is short enough to not feel overwhelming. The memory aids were very helpful and also broke up the detailed content which made it easier to study for longer stretches.
– Dr. Roe
The PBR actually focuses on learning what you need to know for the TEST instead of just throwing tons of material at you… The reliability of the PBR staff was fantastic… The core concepts book was invaluable in terms of focusing on high yield material… I had to realize that studying for the boards was a practical endeavor about learning what was needed to get test questions correct, NOT learning more about pediatrics in general. Team PBR kept emphasizing this which helped so much in keeping me focused on important content and test-taking strategies.
– Dr. SN
SO WHAT MAKES PEDIATRICS BOARD REVIEW (PBR) DIFFERENT?
PBR is a comprehensive and integrated SYSTEM of education and efficiency. It is tailored to YOUR needs as a busy and oftentimes overwhelmed, physician. We focus not only on providing you with the most streamlined study materials for the boards but also on providing the test-taking techniques required to ensure you pass on test day. This includes:
The PBR website is filled with excellent resources to guide pediatricians on what to study, how to study, how to mentally approach the exam, how to structure your exam day and so MUCH more.
YOU and the PBR Community
For many PBR members, the PEER support system that PBR has created through the Discord Community is a lifesaver. It's so easy to get lost, down, and depressed during board preparation. Having others to lean on during those dark times is priceless for some members as they seek advice on the subject matter, time management, study techniques, or even how to find a bit of motivation.
The PBR resources are all built around the PBR Core Study Guide. Although there is a video course, an MP3 course, an online version of the Core Study Guide, etc., they are ALL based on the same content. This allows for seamless and EFFICIENT repetition and MASTERY of a core set of content that is PROVEN to help you pass your board exam.
I am NEVER happy with the status quo. If there is a NEW way that I can help you study more efficiently, I WILL create it. Plus, I see Team PBR as a group of pioneers in the area of board review. That's why we have our Certification System with new technological advances and creations every year to help you study better and faster. Examples of our innovative efforts include…
- An Online Video Course created with the help of our PBR alumni
- Multiple versions of online study guides (desktop, mobile, searchable, full screen, etc.)
- Test-Taking Strategy Courses on mastering board-style questions
- MP3 audio courses (streaming or downloadable)
- A Virtual Atlas of Pediatric Pictures that's available to you from any web-enabled device
CUSTOMIZED AND PERSONALIZED STUDY SCHEDULES
Personalized 90-day study schedules based on YOUR availability. This isn't something that we can offer everyone, but we have mapped out up to 180 days of study time for many of our members to help them structure and visualize their plan of attack. WOULD ANY OTHER BOARD REVIEW COMPANY THAT YOU KNOW OF DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR YOU?!?
- PEER support community which includes ONLY members of the PBR family
- WEBINARS! – LIVE and recorded webinar to increase access to me and to experts on the PBR resources
- TEAM PBR! – Our support team gets emotionally invested in YOUR success and your happiness during this challenging time.
- TEST-TAKING STRATEGY SUPPORT: Developing Test-Taking Strategies to help you pass your boards is one of the most important skills you can develop if you want to pass the boards. But, it's usually overlooked. We offer the PBR Full Online Test-Taking Strategies Course for a self-paced educational experience, and we also offer our interactive Live Test-Taking Strategies & Deep Study Course to help you break through the plateaus that you'll reach when you work in isolation.
When it comes to test-taking strategies, the sooner you take the course, the more time you'll have to work with us to master the techniques needed to finally pass the boards.
ONE SYSTEM FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED
PBR CERTIFICATION SYSTEM
The board preparation process is filled with MADNESS. There is fear, anxiety, overwhelm, stress, lack of time, lack of money, lack of high-quality guidance and lack of ongoing support. The PBR Certification System was created to provide you with an EFFICIENT blueprint to walk you through your board preparation process in a step-by-step manner. By working with thousands of pediatricians and really listening to them, I have been able to create a systematic approach that has even helped people pass after SIX previously failed attempts! Plus, you receive ongoing guidance and support through the blueprint, through our emails, and through our private online, members-only support group.
In order to make your decision easy, we've created the PBR NO BRAINER package
THE NO BRAINER BUNDLE WILL:
- Destroy any of your concerns about MONEY.
- Give you congruent study content across SEVERAL hardcopy and digital resources
- Allow you to study as a COMMUNITY
- Give you many ways to study and find out what WORKS FOR YOU
- Allow you to maximize your EFFICIENCY
- Help you FOCUS on the most high-yield and important topics
- Establish the correct MINDSET to reduce anxiety and increase your confidence
The goal is to ensure that you pass on your first try with PBR, and that's why PBR gives you a Money Back First-Time PASS GUARANTEE. The No Brainer package is the only SYSTEM available for pediatricians, and it is PROVEN to help you pass.
Failing the boards will easily cost you over $5000 in fees, study resources, time off, etc. Team PBR is here to ensure your time, energy, emotional investment, and financial investments result in a passing score. This is why we've made sure that the No Brainer package is THE study resource you will need to pass the initial certification!
PBR's NO BRAINER Bundle
The No Brainer package was created because we want you to stop thinking about which PBR resource you're going to use. Our resources are synergistic and can be used together for maximum study efficiency. For an enrollment fee that is less than the cost of a single pediatric board review video course, you get more value than any other board review course AND you get resources, support, a community, and a SYSTEM that nobody else has.
The All Access Pass Includes
- HARDCOPY CORE STUDY GUIDE
- HARDCOPY QUESTION & ANSWER BOOK
- ONLINE VERSION OF THE CORE STUDY GUIDE
- ONLINE VERSION OF THE Q&A BOOK
- ONLINE VERSION OF THE PICTURE ATLAS
- PDF VERSION OF THE PICTURE ATLAS
- STREAMING PBR MP3 AUDIO COURSE
- DOWNLOADABLE PBR MP3 AUDIO COURSE FOR YOUR PHONE AND MP3 PLAYERS
- ONLINE VIDEO COURSE (OVC). THE “DVD-LIKE” MOBILE FRIENDLY VIDEO COURSE
- Q&A WEBINARS FOR EVERY CHAPTER
- PRE-RECORDED TEST-TAKING STRATEGY WEBINARS FROM OUR NON-PHY2013 & 2014
- PRIVATE DISCORD COMMUNITY ACCESS
- FREE SHIPPING FOR THE HARDCOPY BOOKS
BENEFITS OF THE NO BRAINER BUNDLE
You get up to THREE Personalized 90-Day Study Schedules created by Team PBR based on your schedule and needs.
Our biggest goal is to help you and other pediatricians avoid the same experience of failure that I had.
Through the No Brainer package, we genuinely believe that WE HAVE REMOVED MONEY AS A BARRIER to help you make your decision (other board review programs charge $1600 for a video course only or live course while you get ALL of our pediatric knowledge base resources AND our support to create Personalized Schedules AND our Full Online Test-Taking Strategies Course for far less than that).
Are you getting the feeling that we actually DO have a clue about the board review process? And how to get you a passing score on the boards? Then sign up for the PBR No Brainer package now.
DAY 90-DAY PERSONALIZED SCHEDULE DEMO
WHAT’S AHEAD FOR ASHISH & TEAM PBR IN 2024?
Looking to the Future: Our Upcoming Projects
I don't want to promise anything, but here are the exciting ideas we have in mind for 2024:
2024 PEDIATRICS BOARD REVIEW (PBR) MOBILE APP
I'm going to make every effort to release a mobile app in the summer of 2024. The plan for the mobile app is to simplify your study experience, allowing you to access your content, watch videos, and listen to your MP3s all from one convenient place!
50% OFF FOR RESIDENTS
For residency programs that have never used PBR before, we're introducing a special offer. Get a 50% discount on our No Brainer bundle when purchased by 100% of your graduating class. Interested? Click here to find out more!
MORE LIVE STRATEGY COURSES
Our aim is to provide everyone with the opportunity to master Test-Taking Strategies through live courses. The results and stories from our previous courses have been truly inspirational. Members not only gain valuable knowledge but also forge new “question-answering” buddies and study buddies, and accountability buddies. These experiences often lead to lasting friendships. I personally absolutely LOVE meeting my members and helping in person. I even get a little choked up at times because I truly find the experience to be the most rewarding part of my work. In 2023, I had 3 Zoom-based Live Test-Taking Strategies & Deep Study Courses, and they were a HUGE SUCCESS. In 2024, I plan to offer Zoom-based courses again. The Zoom-based courses have been a HUGE SUCCESS and have shown even greater levels of engagement and efficiency than the in-person courses I previously taught.
NEW ONLINE VIDEO COURSE
Our current video course is already very up to date, but in Q1 of 2024, we'll be updating it again to match the new 2024 books almost exactly!
NEW MP3 AUDIO COURSE
We're also dedicated to updating our audio course to align seamlessly to match the new 2024 books!
Our membership area gives you the ability to TAKE NOTES. That means while using PBR's only study guides, you can take notes and enhance your learning experience.
Thank you SO MUCH for sticking with me to learn more information than you ever wanted to know about the pediatric board exam results for 2023.
BOARD SUCCESS WEBINAR
Are you planning on taking the boards in 2024? If so, it's time to jump in and register for our Board Success in 2024 Webinar. So, what are you waiting for!?! Space is limited.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 22nd at 8 PM EST
If you’re taking the boards in 2024, this webinar is for you! CLICK HERE & JOIN ME!